Every two years, agencies are required to re-evaluate their Senior Executive Service (SES), Senior Level (SL), and Scientific and Professional (ST) positions needs. In May 2004, the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) notified Departments and agencies of their FY 2004/2005 executive resources allocations and informed them that requests for additional allocations for the FY 2006/2007 biennial cycle must be submitted to OPM by the end of calendar year 2004. In December, you completed this first step by providing OPM with your FY 2006 and 2007 estimates.
We are now asking agencies that requested additional executive allocations to furnish detailed justifications for those increases. As in the past, OPM will review agency allocation requests on a position-by-position basis and will take the following factors into account:
- Is there a new legislative mandate or Presidential directive requiring additional allocations?
- Has the agency acquired a new mission or is it expanding an ongoing agency program?
- What is the current and average annual SES/SL/ST vacancy rate?
- Is the allocation request for a line or staff position?
- Is the allocation request for a deputy or equivalent, or a principal position?
While these factors are not intended to be exhaustive they should be considered in justifying your agency's request. Additionally, as part of OPM's oversight responsibility, we reserve the right to conduct a post-allocation audit of an agency's use of its executive resource allocations.
Please reply with the appropriate justifications no later than August 5, 2005, at the following address:
Center for Leadership and Executive Resources Policy
U.S. Office of Personnel Management
1900 E Street, NW., Room 6500
Washington, DC 20415-5100
A separate memorandum and Attachment 1 was sent to your agency head. I am providing supplementary information for your use in Attachment 2. My staff is available to provide additional information and to answer any questions you might have regarding this process. You may contact Mr. Hughes Turner, Deputy Associate Director, Center for Leadership and Executive Resources policy at 202-606-1811, Hughes.Turner@opm.gov, or Mr. Jeffrey D. Miller of the same office at 202-606-8047, Jeffrey.Miller@opm.gov.
1. Supporting Requests for Additional Executive Resources Allocations
2. Guidance on Identifying SES, SL, and ST Positionscc: Human Resources Directors