The U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) is releasing the draft Position Classification Flysheet for the Emergency Management Series, 0089, and proposed qualification standard for the occupation. The new occupational series will cover positions whose primary responsibilities are emergency management. We propose that the new series be included under the Group Coverage Qualification Standard for Administrative and Management Positions.
Please provide your comments in response to the attached request by April 30, 2012.
We encourage all agencies to conduct a general review of the duties covered by this draft flysheet and provide feedback to us. We rely on agency human resources officials with positions covered by this draft position classification flysheet to contact subject matter experts and program management officials to ensure they are aware of the release of this draft flysheet and to seek their input. We depend on your input to assist us in making the appropriate adjustments to ensure the final flysheet meets your needs.
If you have questions or would like to discuss this proposal, please contact Barbara Stevenson at (202) 606-1702 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions concerning the qualification standard, please contact Brenda Cook at (202) 606-1587 or email at email@example.com.
Attachment -Draft Position Classification Flysheet for Emergency Management Series, 0089
Request for Comments
Draft Position Classification Flysheet for
Emergency Management Series, 0089
Please provide your comments and recommendations to OPM by April 30, 2012.
Note: Do not use the grade level criteria in the attached draft to classify positions until the U.S. Office of Personnel Management issues the final document.
1. This draft position classification flysheet proposes establishing the Emergency Management Series, 0089, to provide a common occupation for this Federal workforce.
2. The draft flysheet is organized into three principal areas: introduction, general series determination guidelines, and grading instructions.
3. The proposed grading criteria for the occupational series are found in the Administrative Analysis Grade Evaluation Guide (AAGEG).
Specific Questions about this Draft Flysheet Occupational Series
Subject matter experts and human resources officials should answer the following questions about this draft position classification flysheet:
1. Is the occupational information appropriate and sufficient? If not, please recommend any additional information you believe we should consider.
2. Is the proposed official title reasonable? If not, please explain in your response.
3. Are the grading criteria in the AAGEG appropriate for this occupational series?
Additional Information Requested from Agencies
Please apply the draft position classification flysheet to a sufficient number of positions to determine if it meets your classification needs and supports your estimates of potential impact. Please provide the following information:
1. The number of position descriptions by title, series, and grade level that you evaluated using the draft flysheet. In addition, provide the number of employees covered by each position description you tested. For example, if you are reporting on the number of “standardized position descriptions (SPDs)” tested; we need to know how many employees are covered by each SPD.
2. The potential impact on these positions, i.e., the number of positions that would be upgraded, downgraded, or remains the same. Again, please provide the number of employees that would be impacted.
3. Copies of position descriptions that would change in grade level. Include an evaluation statement or an explanation of:
(a) how the position was classified using the present standard; and
(b) why the grade changed after applying the draft criteria.
As noted, the flysheet does not provide occupation specific grading criteria. However, as you conduct the test application using the recommended grading series; please do not include any position if there is any question about the accuracy of the grade. In addition, tell us if the draft flysheet was easier or more difficult to apply than the variety of occupational standards used by agencies.
How Do You Submit Comments?
In response to the requests outlined above, each agency’s response should include comments:
(a) representing the agency’s overall feedback;
(b) from field or area offices locations; and
(c) from subject matter experts.
Please submit comments in accordance with your agency’s guidelines. Recommendations for change will be helpful if you include the rationale and examples for the change.
Please send your response by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by hard copy to the address below:
U.S. Office of Personnel Management
Attention: Barbara Stevenson
Recruitment and Hiring
Classification and Assessment Policy
1900 E Street, NW, Room 6H31
Washington, DC 20415-8330
Individuals who wish to send personal comments should send them to the same address. Thank you in advance for your participation.